The AISI S200, North American Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Framing – General Provisions has been developed to address requirements for construction with cold-formed steel framing that are common to prescriptive and engineered design. This standard is intended for adoption and use in the United States, Canada and Mexico. This edition supersedes the previous edition, designated as AISI S200-07.
Compared with the 2007 edition of the standard, the following major revisions were made:
1. Consolidations and clarifications were made between AISI cold-formed steel framing standards regarding applicable material, material specification, base steel thickness, manufacturing tolerances, and product dimensions. As a result, the following sections were revised: A3, Material; A4, Corrosion Protections; and A5, Products.
2. Section C3.4.4, End Bearing, was revised to clarify when the stud end gap needs to be considered and specified.
3. Provisions related to nonstructural members were moved from this standard to AISI S220. Changes were made in Sections A1, Scope; A3, Material; A4, Corrosion Protection; and Section A5, Products.
4. Section A2, Definitions, was revised to include those used in other cold-formed steel framing standards.
5. Section A6, Referenced Documents, was updated.
While not necessary, use of the more stringent requirements for Structural members that are in this standard for nonstructural members should be permitted, since these should demonstrate equivalent performance for the intended use to those specified in AISI S220.
This product is available for FREE electronic download. Please check the CFSEI Free Publications page.